Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Springdale, Arkansas to Woodward, Oklahoma

This is the day I crossed most of Oklahoma, from East to West, including the panhandle. I was pretty good. Cold, but good. On the easterrn side of the state, there was a hilly scenic drive on US Highway 62. The middle of the state was fairly flat. And a little northwest of Oklahoma City, snow started to appear on the ground. In the western part of the state, there was slight blanket of snow everywhere. I have traveled cross country several times, and I think Oklahoma is about the most scenic way to cross the Great Plains.

One of the things I like most about my road trips is listening to audiobooks along the way. Over the past two days I have listened to The Revenant by Michael Punke. It is the basis of a movie of the same name starring Leonardo DiCaprio coming out this month. Its rated as a historical fiction, but I classify it as a survival fiction. I consider Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the first survival fiction I read. The similarity is the overcoming a series of extreme adverse situations in a hostile environment with an ambiguous outcome.  I have heard that DiCaprio has done an outstanding job as the lead character, Hugh Glass, who was an actual mountain man who was terribly mauled by a grizzley bear, and then was left to die by two men who had agreed to stay with him. All I can say is that this is certainly a different role from anything I had seen DiCaprio do before.  The book is great, and is certainly worth reading or listening to even if you see the movie.

Day 3 mileage: 345
Cumulative mileage: 1,130