Saturday, January 9, 2016

Durango, Colorado to Cortez, Colorado via Telluride

I stayed an extra day in Durango to allow the final stage of the storm to pass through southwest Colorado.

Durango is a small western- and outdoors-oriented city that is most active during the summer months. It reminded me of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. A major attraction is the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which is probably the best scenic railway in the country. It runs year round. If I had a bucket list, riding it would be on it, though I would prefer to ride it during the Summer. I had an excellent prime rib dinner at Ken and Sue's in downtown Durango. There appear to be several fine restaurants in town.

Today I traveled North from Durango up the San Juan Skyway to Ouray, Colorado. I crossed three passes on the 50-mile drive, with the Red Mountain Summit Pass being the highest at 11,100 feet above sea level. Mandatory traction control was required of all vehicles, including passenger cars. Because I did not have either all wheel drive or snow tires, in dutifully put on my chains. It took me about 10 minutes to install them. All the way over the three passes, I did not see chains on any other passenger vehicle. Ho Hum. I will say that I felt much safer with the chains installed, and since they kept me from driving faster than 25 mph, I had a very pleasant drive in the beautiful scenery.

Day 7 mileage: 245
Cumulative mileage: 2,005


Here are some pictures:

Peak on San Juan Skyway

Mustang with Chains in Silverton, Colorado


San Juan County Courthouse in Silverton, Colorado
Main Street in Ouray, Colorado
San Juan Mountains from San Juan Skyway