Monday, January 11, 2016

Kanab, Utah to Grand Junction, Colorado

Southeastern Utah has some of the most incredible scenery in the world. Buttes, ridges, reefs, shelves, plateaus, on and on. The lineup of national parks alone is exceptional: Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, and Zion. Plus the national monuments: Cedar Breaks, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, and Rainbow Bridge. Plus 12 Utah state parks. I have traveled through the area five times, and I am always amazed.

This was my first time driving the length of Utah Highway 12. It is definitely one of the most amazing scenic highways in the country. And if you drive it in winter, like I did, you almost have it to yourself.  I like the geology. I like the elevation, from 5000 feet to 9600 feet. I like the curves and the hills, both up and down. I like the numerous turnouts and scenic viewpoints--all of which had been plowed of snow.

That's enough superlatives. Here are the pictures. I think the snow adds an interesting element to the landscapes.

Bryce Canyon

Bryce Point, Bryce Canyon

Grottos from Bryce Point, Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon

Scene from Utah Highway 12

Snow, Utah Style


While  Colorado has Chimney Rock National Monument, Utah has its own Chimney Rock in Capital Reef National Park.

Chimney Rock, Capital Reef National Park
Day 9 mileage: 400
Cumulative mileage: 2,770