Sunday, January 10, 2016

Cortez, Colorado to Kanab, Utah

When I left Cortez, the temperature was two degrees Fahrenheit. It was dry and the sky was clear, so my major concern was ice on the roadway. Fortunately, the road was dry and ice-free all morning.

My key objective was to take winter pictures of Monument Valley. The area, well known from many Western movies, is on the Navajo Tribe Reservation in Arizona. The tribe has incorporated it into a Tribal Park and charges a $20 per car fee for entry. Things looked good until I was very near the park, but then the cloud cover decreased to zero. In addition, the park attendant advised that the park road, which is not paved, was closed due to the recent rain and snow. At least they we're charging the entry fee and I went to the visitors center. The the best views are within the park, but I was able to take some pictures of mesas and buttes in the surrounding territory.
Mexican Hat













Day 8 mileage: 365
Cumulative mileage: 2,370