Saturday, January 16, 2016

Sioux Falls, South Dakota to Madison, Wisconsin

Somewhere crossing the plains of southern Minnesota I got tired of looking at snow. Its still a pretty blanket of white, and the challenge of driving in cold weather is still there, but I was ready for the trek to be over. Fortunately, I was on my way to my first of two stops to see my sons, their wives, and my grandchildren.

Madison, Wisconsin, has been home for Michael and Amanda for, I think, six years. They came here because Amanda had a fellowship to pursue her PhD in psychology at the University of Wisconin. Initially, Michael worked at software programming.  Then he was accepted to the graduate program in geography at UW. They have thrived in their studies, with Amanda getting her PhD in December, 2013, and Michael getting his masters and finishing his PhD coursework and exams, with only his doctoral dissertation to go. Along the way, they bought a house and had their first child, Andrew. And so here I am in Madison, happily playing on the floor with my 3-year-old grandson in his parents' cozy little house.

Michael and Andrew Practicing Soccer on Indoor Field

Life is a journey.

Day 13-14 mileage: 430
Cumulative mileage: 4,295