Friday, July 29, 2011

Duluth, MN to Miles City, MT

I was going to go to the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota, and then head home.  But I decided I really wanted to see the Canadian Rockies and US Glacier National Park.  So I headed due West.  I only made a brief stop at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, in the western part of North Dakota.  Here are some pictures:





It appears the area was set aside as a tribute to Theodore Roosevelt, who first visited the area in 1883 and established a ranch nearby.  It was declared the Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park (they only NPS park having that designation) in 1947, and was re-designated Theodore Roosevelt National Park in 1978.  The primary activities in the park are hiking, horseback riding, and wildlife viewing.

Mileage: 728.  Cumulative mileage: 8,578.