Saturday, September 24, 2016

Fall Trek - Atlantic Canada













A new trek is on the horizon, starting September 28th. I intend to take a good look at Canada's maritime and Atlantic provinces--New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and a little bit of Labrador. Julie will fly to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and join me for six days, but the rest of the time I will be on my own. I am taking my camping gear and will try to camp some of the time (though not with Julie). The trek will take 30 to 40 days and involve about 7000 miles of driving.


I  tuned up for the trip by spending a week at the work camp at Red Bird Mission in Beverly, Kentucky. A total of 17 of us from the Towns-Union Connection of United Methodist Church drove 250 miles north to the mission site. Half the team worked on building a deck and ramp for a family that has two wheelchair-bound members. The other half of the team did repair and rehab work on a housing unit for a teacher at the mission school. We had three hefty meals a day and we slept in an air-conditioned bunk house. The evenings were spent in Christian fellowship. I'm sore and stiff, but it was a week well spent.

Here is a map of my projected Atlantic Canada trip. The eastern route to Canada is going north.