Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Hiawassee, Georgia to Roanoke, Virginia

This is the first day on my Atlantic Canada trek. For the first five days I will be traveling to Halifax, Nova Scotia, to meet with Julie, who is flying there on Monday. We will spend five days touring Halifax and the southwestern peninsula of Nova Scotia, and Juilie will return home and I will continue on my own. Roanoke has the distinction of being the site of Donald Trump's last rally before "The Debate." I speculate that this is where he got the sniffles. I will monitor my own health accordingly.

There is not much to report, and no photographs to display. Very little sign of fall foliage so far.

I will use this low-information opportunity to review my reading matter for the trip.

I have two travel guides that I am bringing with me:
"Moon's Atlantic Canada," by Andrew Hempstead. I like the format of the Moon travel publications, so it was the one I chose for this trip.
"Scenic Driving, Atlantic Canada" by Chloe Ernst. I bought this thinking it would take me to some scenic drives, but mostly it seems to be a guide to some interesting, touristy day trips. I'll use is as a secondary source to the Moon guide.

I have these books that I am reading (simultaneously, of course) on my Kindle:
"John Henry Days", by Colson Whitehead. He is the author of the new best-seller "Underground Railway, A Novel", which I have read. He is an excellent writer who won a McArthur Fellowship in 2002.
"The Last Days of Night: A Novel", by Graham Moore. This is about the light bulb patent battle between Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse, as portrayed through the eyes of Westinghouse's attorney, Paul Cravath.
"The Wildnerness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America", by David Brinkley. The story of TR, starting from childhood, chronicling his interest in nature and natural history.
"The Great Escape: Health, Wealth and the Origins of Inequality" by Angus Deaton. He is the 2016 winner of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics. It discusses poverty as a social and economic force.
"The Collected Novels of Jack London: 22 Books" This is an ongoing project that has already spanned about three years. I am about one-third of the way through.
"Yuge!: 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump" by Gary Trudeau. Why not?

Mileage: 365.