Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pendleton, OR to Troutdale, OR


My first big event of the day was a stop at the Mill Store at Pendleton Woolen Mills in, where else, Pendleton, Oregon.  As I told the sales clerk, "When I was in college all of the guys from Portland had Pendleton shirts and I decided I was going to have one.  So here I am, nearly 50 years later, buying myself a Pendleton shirt, and at the mill store, no less."  At $105 for something scratchy, it was a bow to history and memory rather than necessity, but at least in Oregon I didn't have to pay sales tax.

Beyond that I drove along the upper Columbia River Gorge toward Portland.  I decided I would get an early start tomorrow and drive back up the Gorge, particularly since I planned to buy a new camera to replace the one that failed several days ago (thus the reason why no pictures for several days).


Mileage: 135.  Cumulative mileage: 2,895.