Sunday, October 30, 2011

Coos Bay, OR to Crescent City, CA

Another day along the Oregon coast, this time along the rougher southern portion.  The weather was overcast, and most of the time it was foggy.  I did see some of the shoreline and I took pictures when I could.  These are examples of basalt outcrops.  The smaller ones are called seastacks and the larger ones are called islands.  There is an Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge that consists entirely of these basalt outcrops.







This particular outcrop, located at Bandon, Oregon, is called Face Rock.  Legend says it is the reclining face of an Indian maiden frozen into stone by an evil spirit.  I think my fog-shrouded view gives the rock and the legend the proper effect.

Face Rock

Mileage: 157.  Cumulative mileage: 3,678.